1
Awakening
I think,
who I am, where I am.
First, I sniff:
earth, moss, bark,
a stream nearby.
Is anyone close?
I listen:
ants, ptarmigan, squirrels.
I stretch my legs,
up my spine and neck;
a slow luscious unfurling
There’s a sharpness to the air,
cold, fresh, ice on the leaves,
low mist.
2
Tonight, again,
The ‘Running’.
To make the colours dance…… Green, Red, Blue.
My tail will brush the snow,
will excite a spark, inflame the sky, set the world aglow…
shimmering, scintillation, radiance.
But I must run and run;
keeping the colours dancing needs constant stimulation,
it takes all my energy.
When I have run all I can,
I fall into the snow’s embrace,
bury myself till morning.
Then, awakening, I ache so, but
I think, who I am, where I am, of my task, my responsibility:
to create the lights……and to never be seen.
3
I am chosen.
When I was young,
I rebelled against being ‘special’,
but, I am chosen, and
I’m in servitude to my calling.
It is a privilege.
It’s a burden.
It is a wonder.
It’s a terror.
It is joyous.
It’s sorrowful.
It is exciting.
It’s known, preordained.
I run freely,
…but have to run.
It is ecstatic.
It’s relentless.
4
I am rare, pure, exquisite,
I paint on the largest canvas in the world.
Sometimes, with my speed, the cold, the colours,
I can get overexcited.
I have to momentarily slow down,
concentrate hard, find myself.
My touch lights the heavens,
and all the shimmering, vibrant, melting curtains of colour
are mine to
conjure,
hold,
command,
fade;
yet I am pursued, haunted by dreams…..
I’m breathless…..falling.
5
I have the finest gift,
that of always being astonished before
forms and shapes and sounds and smells.
It is extraordinary; I am singular,
though my exhaustion is commonplace.
And I am tired now.
My work is nearly over.
My fire is diminishing;
the next magical one will come soon.
6
But, Today, again, comes
The ‘Running’, MY Running:
To make the colours dance…… Green, Red, Blue.
My tail will brush the snow,
My eyes will shine.
I’ll be unfettered, unrestrained, wild, free, powerful.
I’ll create sparks
that will inflame the sky
and set the world aglow…
Peter Jennings
East Sussex
2026
No comments:
Post a Comment